Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quick and dirty movie reviews pt 1

I realized that I haven't been posting reviews of all the movies I've been watching for my Day Zero project. So, starting tonight I'm going to get back into that habit. However, I have 67 movies to review. It's going to take a few days. I'm just going to go from top to bottom on the list I have. I figured that would be so much easier than going by date So let's get to it:

Taxidermia:
Let me start by saying I saw this movie, then I actually tried going on different message boards to figure out what the hell this movie was about. I still got nothing. It's a foreign film from Hungary. And...when you see a man shooting fire from his penis and later having (graphic) sex with raw meat within the first 20 minutes, you know things will not end well. And they don't. From what I understand it showcased 3 generations of sexually deviant men, and each one had a weird fetish. The dialog doesn't help. I wish I could tell you more, but the less I have to remember about this the better.

3 Extremes:
Another gem from Japan. The film is divided into three stories: Dumplings, Cut and Box. The version I saw only had Dumplings and Cut, but it's still a great movie. It's in the same vein as Creepshow or Tales from the Crypt. It starts off very slow. It relies heavily on storytelling, but it quickly picks up. Yet another movie that I can't tell you about without giving everything away. Just trust me. It's worth one watch.

Delicatessen:
This one is actually from France. I was kind of surprised because I can't even remember the last time I saw a decent French horror movie. At this same time, this one is more of a horror/comedy. It's basically the non-musical version of Sweeney Todd. That being said, there's are some notable differences. The butcher kills the maintenance man every time the tenants need meat. Hey, I didn't say it made a lick of sense. I said it was a good movie. Just watch it...

Art of the Devil 2:
I tried to find the first movie. I did some research and found out there are 3 (possibly 4) movies...and none of them are connected in anyway. I decided to pick the first one that popped up on Netflix. I'm wondering if I should've picked 1 or 3. This one just didn't make any sense. Some kids get molested by a gym teacher (I think), and get revenge. Then I'm not sure what happens after that. They get revenge by filming the gym teacher having an affair with another teacher. One of them commits suicide, then immediately comes back and starts killing the kids. At least I think that's what happened. I really have no freakin clue. This movie had no continuity and jumped around more than a Tarantino film. Long story short, it was just stupid and a waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment